Hiring the right lawyer for your situation is the most important key to solving your case effectively and properly. If you hire the wrong Bradenton lawyer, chances are your case won’t get solved the right way. Having the right lawyer for your case means that your case will get fixed rather than made worse. Sometimes representing yourself in court or using a court appointed attorney can only make your situation worse. Whether it’s a car accident, divorce, child custody case, or a medical malpractice suit, you need to have the right professional helping you.
Starting the search for the right lawyer can seem impossible. It’s difficult to know who will do the best job. Of course you can ask around your neighborhood and figure out who has been helped by which attorneys in the area, but that isn’t always the most effective way. Before you make the decision to hire a lawyer, there are 10 questions that you should ask.
- Have you handled this type of case before? This is one of the first questions you should ask the lawyer. You don’t exactly want to buy a cake from a place who specializes in lasagna. The same thing applies for lawyers. You don’t want to hire an attorney for a child custody case who specializes in DUI cases. A lawyer who has the right history in these cases can make a world of difference in helping you.
- Have you ever been accused of attorney misconduct? You need to know whether or not the lawyer you plan to hire has been accused of any misconduct. You might be able to find this information online, but attorneys are also good at hiding this information. You don’t want to get yourself into a situation where an attorney might betray you.
- Do you regularly practice in the courthouse which my case will be held? You want a lawyer who has experience with the judge who will likely be handling your case. You also want a lawyer who has plenty of experience dealing with the prosecuting attorney, otherwise known as the district attorney. If your attorney knows all of the people involved in your case, they can give you a better idea of what to expect during your hearing.
- What are the likely outcomes of my case? Your lawyer should be able to give you an accurate idea of what you should expect during your court hearing. One of the most stressful situations can be walking into court not knowing what to expect.
- How much do you cost? You need to know if you can afford the specific lawyer before you decide to hire him/her.
- What court fees should you expect to pay? Your attorney is going to be expensive already. You want to assume that you’ll have to pay some court fees as well. You want to ask your lawyer what kind of fees you will have to pay that way you can plan your finances out properly.
- What strategy do you propose? There are many different solutions and outcomes that can be achieved from a court case. You want to be prepared for the strategy that your attorney plans to take.
- Is there an alternative to trial? You should have the option to plea to the charges, or take the case to trial. You want to talk to your lawyer about whether or not you will be making a plea.
- How long will my case take? Overall, your case can take months. You lawyer can postpone court dates in order to get you a better outcome.
- How is the best way to communicate with you? Lawyers are busy. It’s always best to know which form of communication they will respond to quickest.