Whether you’re dealing with the aftermath of a work-related injury or you were the victim of malpractice, you shouldn’t handle the recovery on your own. Hiring a Sarasota personal injury lawyer allows you to receive the counsel and protection that you need. Before you hire a personal injury attorney, here are a few things that you should know.
· Most initial consultations are free. It doesn’t matter if you were bitten by a dog or were involved in a car accident, you deserve proper representation. For this reason, most attorneys provide a free consultation to discuss the details of your case. Based on your discussion, your attorney can tell you whether or not you have a viable case.
· Choosing an experienced attorney is important. There are plenty of attorneys out there who are willing to take on your case. Before retaining the expertise of a lawyer, it’s important to verify that they specialize in personal injury cases. This increases your chances of winning your suit.
· Beware of ambulance chasers. If you’ve been injured, it’s important to hire an attorney to handle your case. However, if you find that attorneys are contacting you to represent your suit, beware. Ambulance chasing is illegal in most states. Instead of hiring the first attorney that comes knocking, speak with friends and family members about practitioners that they have hired.
· A trial isn’t always necessary. If your injury was caused due to the negligence of someone else, your case could be settled outside of the courtroom. While a trial isn’t always necessary to settle your suit, it’s still important to hire an attorney to file the necessary paperwork, deal with the insurance companies, and act as a liaison between you and the guilty party.
· Most attorneys handle personal injury cases on a contingency basis. If you’re worried about the costs associated with your personal injury case, don’t worry. Most attorneys work on contingency. This means that you don’t have to pay a fee up front in order to retain representation from your lawyer. Instead, they only collect payment if you win your case. Their fee will be deducted from the sum that you are awarded.
· It’s important to understand the fees up front. Even if your attorney is working on a contingency basis, it’s still important to understand the expenses that you are accruing. Before signing a contract, make sure you are clear on the details of the financial policy and fees that you are being charged.
· You may be required to reimburse your insurance company. The insurance ramifications of a personal injury case are often difficult to understand. In many cases, clients are required to pay their health insurance company back for the bills that were previously paid. A good personal injury attorney knows this and factors these amounts into your settlement.
· A personal injury case isn’t a quick fix. You may be hoping to have a large sum of money in your account within a matter of days. These types of cases take time to resolve, though. Be patient with the process and trust your attorney to do their job.
While your personal injury attorney may not be able to guarantee the results of your case, they can definitely help. By hiring a personal injury attorney in Sarasota, FL, you’ll better understand the process that lies ahead and have a better chance of reaching a favorable outcome.