Following an accident, you feel vulnerable, exhausted, and helpless. Don’t recover on your own. If your accident was caused due to the negligence of someone else, you could be compensated for your pain and suffering. To better assess your situation and determine whether or not you are eligible for this type of award, it’s important to hire a personal injury attorney. Hiring an injury lawyer in Bradenton is the best way to protect yourself following an accident and get the representation you deserve. To help you find a reliable attorney, here are a few things to consider.
· Use your network to find a trustworthy individual. Chances are you or someone you know has dealt with an attorney in the past. Whether due to a divorce, custody issue, civil, or criminal issue, your attorney knows other good attorneys. Reach out to the legal practitioners you’ve used in the past and ask them to refer you to someone who deals specifically with personal injuries. In the event that you don’t know an attorney, speak with friends and family members who have. They can refer you to someone trustworthy who will be able to assist you or give you a referral.
· Check reviews and references. Once you have a few prospective attorneys, it’s time to see what previous clients are saying about their experiences with them. Many attorneys will have references and reviews listed on their websites. While these are a good place to start, it’s also beneficial to look up their ratings on third-party review sites. This is the best way to get a feel for how an attorney conducts business without actually hiring them.
· Look into credentials and experience. Every attorney should have graduated from an accredited university and received their degree in law. On top of that, they should have passed the bar exam in the state where they are practicing. Once you have verified that an attorney has all of the necessary credentials to practice law, look into their experience. A personal injury attorney shouldn’t be handling divorces or bankruptcies. Instead, they should focus their area of expertise solely on injury cases. The longer they have been specializing in this area of the law, the better they will be at representing your case.
· Conduct interviews. Before hiring an attorney, it’s important to meet with them. Schedule initial consultations with each prospective lawyer on your list. During the interview, pay attention to how they communicate with you. If your communication is easy, that’s a great sign. Take the time to ask about strategy, how they foresee the process unfolding, and whether or not they believe your case has merit. Based on these interviews, it will be easier to choose the right attorney for you.
· Understand the financial policy. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. This means that you won’t be charged a fee or retainer up front. Instead, they only collect money from you if your case is won. Once you are awarded a settlement, the legal fees are deducted and given to your attorney. While this is an easy way to get the representation you need, it’s still important to understand the fees associated with retaining an attorney. This ensures that there are no surprise fees when your case is won.
Whether you’ve been injured in a car accident or you were bitten by a dog, it’s time to get the help you deserve. By hiring a personal injury attorney in Bradenton, you’ll be well equipped to seek after the compensation needed to help you heal.